Word written total: N/A
Percentage complete: N/A
Reason for stopping: End of G's talk
I managed an hour's brainstorming and note making whilst listening to G give a talk about his Ph.D. research to the North Wales Naturalist Trust.
G had borrowed a computer projector from the college in order to give his PowerPoint presentation. (Which -- any PowerPointophobes out there please note! -- contained not one single bullet point.) I had gone along as his technical assistant because he needed to use my laptop. So while he talked, I sat at the back and scribbled in my notebook. I don't know whether the woman sitting next to me thought I was eagerly making notes on the talk, but I was in fact writing a To Do list for the research and also jotting down some thoughts on background.
- Character notes for Bethany Brimble
- Character notes for Taliesin Jones
- Re-read Mabinogion
- Begin circular diagram and put known stuff onto it
- Buy map of North Wales coast (Rhyl/Rhuddlan area)
- Re-read folklore book to decide yearly events/customs
- Read Welsh history 1800s to present to work out divergence points for alternate Wales
- Read dog book
- Read spell book
- Re-read Sir John Rhys's Celtic Folklore Welsh and Manx -- or at least the relevant bits for North Wales in order to get a handle on the Welsh fairies and any other creatures/people who might attend the college.
- Read up about religion and superstition in Wales in the late 19th-early 20th centuries -- sin eaters?
- Read Borrow's Wild Wales
Oh, and I also decided on the name for Bethany's little dog. I already knew he was a Yorkshire terrier. I now know he's called Carlo.
And I haven't yet got an icon for this book, though I have a working title Revealing Secrets