Helen (heleninwales) wrote,

  • Mood:

New phone is up and running

It's interesting to consider that the very last thing I did with the new phone was to phone it from another phone to check that it would receive calls OK. :)

The move from the old phone to the new wasn't as smooth a transition as it ought to have been. Samsung have changed the software that they use to synchronise phone and computer and the PC Studio 3 that I have used successfully for the last 3 or so years with my old phone (also Samsung) doesn't work with the new phone. The Kies software that was supplied on two tiny CDs wouldn't install, so I had to do a bit of Googling to establish that a) I would have to use Kies rather than PC Studio 3 and that b) other people had also had trouble with the install.

However, unlike some other people, I did successfully download and install the version off the Samsung site. The install appeared to hang and it was stuck on 49% for so long that I actually picked up a book and read a chapter or so, but I held my nerve and didn't cancel the process and next time I looked up, it was at 64% and from then on it whizzed along happily.

With Kies up and running, I managed to successfully sync the phone calendar with Outlook (which I don't actually use, except as a backup for the calendar in the phone). I also transferred the test photo I took to the computer. What I couldn't do was persuade Kies to sync the Contacts because Outlook is not set as my default email program. Of course if I'd saved them all to the SIM rather than to the phone in the first place, I wouldn't have had this problem, but it seemed the best option at the time.

Anyway, I only have about 25 contacts listed, so I've decided to enter them manually and in the process make sure that all the details are correct and current. I can also delete a few obsolete ones, such as former colleagues in my last job.

The final step is to check the old phone for any files I might want. Most are already transferred, but our daughter sent a couple of pictures of our granddaughter unwrapping her Christmas presents. And then that's it. Everything should be up and running.

I'm not going to be using the new phone for the web. The idea was to reduce expenditure and anyway, when would I need it? I'm not such a web addict that I can't go out for the day without needing an Internet fix and if I want to let people know what I'm doing via Facebook or Twitter, I can text an update. However, the phone does have wifi, which could be handy if I found myself somewhere with free wifi access and I didn't have the Eee with me. Or the iPod Touch.

I mean how many ways do you need to have to get on the Internet? :)

  • A few random things

    The meeting went well on Wednesday though we did have to fall back on Plan B and use the desktop computer instead of the laptop. At first it looked…

  • I used to take this sort of thing in my stride

    Yesterday was emotionally very up and down. (Nothing serious, just minor stresses brought on by a poorly computer.) I woke to heavy rain, but…

  • Gardening and reading

    I didn't sleep well last night. I woke up at 1.30 a.m. feeling very shivery (a reaction to the flu jab I had yesterday). I then slept for a bit but…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded